Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lazy Susan becomes Pretty Susan

I posted about this lazy susan not too long ago. Found her at the flea market, naturally, and the minute I saw her I just knew with some pretty china and stained glass she wouldn't even be recognizable. Here she is before...

                                                              
What I really liked about her were the scalloped dishes. I see so many Susans at the flea but have never come across one quite like this. I spray primed her and then painted her ballet slipper pink. It is by far my favorite shade of pink. I layed out my mosaic design and played around for a while. Finally decided to do each section different yet coordinating.

                                                                              

Grouted her in white but then felt something was missing so I hit Home Depot for a glass knob to be used as a finial. Turned out to be a bit of a pain. You see, I had to drill a hole in the center and find some way to secure the finishing touch. I wound up buying break away drawer handle screws. I used two pliers to break where I needed and then with pliers in hand, holding the threaded part of the screw sans the head, I gave Susan a spin and voila! Screwed on the finial knob and done. Getting long winded over here, aren't I? So, here she is given a new life! Available for purchase on my web site... www.uniquelychicmosaics.com

                                                            I'm linking to...







                                                                       




10 comments:

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

I love it! It started out so plain and you made it soooo pretty! I like the glass knob on top - it is a nice finishing touch.

Rhianna said...

That turned out beautiful, love the knob, nice touch. Can't wait for the tutorial. I'm very inspired to try this, thanks for sharing, Rhianna

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

This is a great project!!! It came out so beautiful!!!

Recaptured Charm said...

Wow. I've always been very envious of people who do mosiacs! You must have tremendous patience. Everything looks amazing. One day I might get up the nerve to try this ..lol

Thanks for dropping by today,
Lisa

Recaptured Charm said...

Hi
You didn't leave your email address in your comment. I'd just like to reply to your question regarding the glaze I used on my cutlery caddy. Unfortunately I mixed this glaze myself. I used clear glazing medium and added some brown that I already had. If you look at the caddy where I painted on the glaze you'll see the colour of brown. Just find a brown you like and mix it. One part paint to 4 parts paint!
If you have any more questions, please contact me!
Thanks
Lisa

coastal cavegirl said...

Oh how pretty!! I saw "ballet slipper pink" just today in the store...now I know it's a good color!

Stopping by from Metamorphosis Monday!

Megan Gunyan said...

This is beautiful! I love the mosaic and the knob adds the perfect touch! Great job!

Janet - Birdland Treasures said...

What a beautiful project, with stunning details!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Wow, Beautiful transformation! Love the mosaic.
Hugs, Sherry

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

So pretty! You really made it special!

XO
Lenore