Saturday, October 9, 2010

Inspired Side Table

This was a 10 dollar Habitat Restore find. I primed and painted it with a small sample bottle of Ben M, Gossamer Blue. I wasn't crazy about this piece from the minute I was stuffing it in the back of my car. Why I  buy these rejects? I  don't know, lack of a weekend project is the only real excuse I can come up with. Does anyone else do that? I mean impulsive buy and I'm not talking awesome, must have boots. We are talking about a dated piece of furniture here. That being said, after I painted it, the color reminded me of a beautiful tray redo and how she was inspired by another blogging friend. Check her tray out here and how she was inspired by this unbelievable "wallpaper" here. It's like a little inspirational domino effect going on.




My three cents for any of you who want to try this:
1. Use either a round or liner brush to fit your desired painted "lines". The longer the bristles the better. They will hold more paint and you won't have to reload the brush as often.
2. Thin your paint w/ water to an ink like consistency. It will just make the paint flow so much better.
3. When mapping out the stencil use a chalk pencil. No pencil lines to erase. Just a touch of water or saliva, and voila....gone! I find erasers will sometimes leave grease-like marks on paint.
Happy LONG weekend to everyone!

Linking to...





Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

8 comments:

emily said...

Fabulous! And great tips at the end ... thinning the paint would have been a smart idea!

Chrissie said...

This is a great transformation. I love the stencil,thanks for sharing your tips!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Sue,
You did such a great job! I don't think my hand could be so steady! Your mosaics are beautiful! Thank you so much for following my blog!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What a wonderful transformation!

Jessica said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!

Jessica
http://craftily-ever-after.blogspot.com

oops! said...

Wow, it would have been nice painted, but you went above & beyond with stencil! I love it!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Very cool! I have painted several thing but I haven't been brave enough to tr to do a pattern.

Eileen said...

I love the way that table turned out. I have a couple of those old cottage tables inherited down thru the years. I have always thought about painting them up. Now you have inspired me.